We provide free tutoring services by trained volunteers to adults in need of basic literacy education, HSE (GED) preparation and ESL in the Bergen County New Jersey area.
Parents should be able to read to their children...
Workers can't fill out job applications if they're unable to read...
Immigrants get left behind because they can't speak English...
Illiteracy affects us all in terms of higher unemployment, poverty and crime.
|| Did you know that 1 in 4 American adults volunteers in their community? And together, American volunteers donate nearly 7.9 billion hours of service annually?
According to the Independent Sector, the latest national value of volunteer time is $22.55 per hour.
Using state volunteer values along with data from our Annual Member Reports, ProLiteracy has calculated the value of our adult education volunteer work in New Jersey is
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!
The Bergen County Freeholders this week declared September as literacy month after hearing a presentation Wednesday from the Project Literacy of Greater Bergen County
Facts You May Not Have Known About Literacy
- 44 million people in the United States cannot read well enough to fill out a job application, read a food label, read a simple story to their child or fill out a bank deposit slip properly
- One of out every ten drivers you meet on the highway cannot read the road signs
- For every dollar that is spent on adult illiteracy, society reaps $7.14 in return either through increased revenues or decreased expenditures such as health care or job training
- The United States is only 49th out of 156 ranked countries when it comes to literacy
- Literacy problems cost businesses approximately $225 billion a year in lost productivity
- More than 150,000 people in Bergen County alone cannot read beyond the fourth grade level. More than 93 million adults in the US have limited reading skills
See Literacy Facts
...help an adult learn to read
...promote literacy in Bergen County
...for yourself, a family member or friend
The next tutor training will begin on Wednesday, September 30, 2015, 6:30-8:30PM and continue for the next four Wednesdays to
October 28. A followup class will be held November 11. For more information, please email
27th Annual Literacy Awards Reception Thursday, September 17, 2015 at
5PM at Bergen Community College Ciarco Learning Center located at 355 Main St. in Hackensack.
12th Annual Fundraising Gala Friday, October 16, 2015 at
7:00-11:00PM at Stony Hill Inn, 231 Polifly Rd, Hackensack, NJ 07601.